Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Living With One hand: Life with Cerebral Palsy

10 of the hardest things for me to do one handed:

1) Peel potatoes
2) Cut tomatoes
3) Cut raw meat
4) Shave my right armpit
5) Cut out any picture with sharp or rounded edges
6) Put my hair in a tight pony tail
7) Cut my fingernails
8) Sew on a button
9) Opening canned foods
10) Pulling heavy pot out of oven/Bringing large boiling pot to sink to drain
As you may see, most tasks that are challenging for me are in the kitchen, but I found a few simple tools that have transformed my life in small yet powerful ways.
Click "read more" to see the tools that have changed my life
10 of my favorite one-handed tools:
10) Small measuring cup for teaspoons
and tablespoons









9) One handed cookie scooper

Oxo Good Grips Small Cookie Scoop







KitchenAid KFP750OB 700-Watt 12-Cup Food Processor, Onyx Black
8) Food Processer






7) Bobby Pins! Allows me the freedom to do my own hair with one hand (it took lots of practice)











6) No Slip small cutting boards – are perfect for preparing meals or snacks with one hand









5) Kitchen scissors have been a huge help to me in decreasing my frustration when cooking meat







Andreas 8-Inch Silicone Trivet, Black
4) Non slip pot holders help me by providing another non slip surface when preparing a meal, keeps a hot dish from slipping, or I can use it to help me open difficult containers or jars





OXO Good Grips 10-Piece POP Container Set
3) Pop up containers I have mentioned in a previous post, but are so wonderful I will mention it again






Dirt Devil M0914 Extreme Power Hand Vac
2) The DUST BUSTER!!!! Holding a cord or carrying around a vacuum cleaner isn’t fun for anyone – especially when you only have one arm









Aussie Moist Shampoo with Pump, 33.8-Fluid Ounce (Pack of 3)
1) Last, but definitely not least…. A pump bottle for shampoo and conditioner! I don’t know why I try anything else.
What tools have you found to be helpful? Of course there are more tricks I have learned over the past 25 years with cerebral palsy - do you have any more specific questions???

No comments:

ShareThis