Monday, January 6, 2014

What I Learned

    
       During my 3 months at Blossomland, I learned many things.

Firstly, I learned a lot about equipment and positioning. Not only did I learn the names of different wheelchairs, strollers, standers, walkers, chairs, and their working parts, but I learned how to fix them too! I am now able to problem solve through equipment issues by finding the problem, the tools to fix it, and then executing the solution.

If I don't know how to fix an issue, I know who can and how to get a hold of them.  I learned what correct positioning looks like and how to adjust equipment to ensure that a child is adequately supported.

I learned how to advocate for children and how to complete the process of acquiring funding for adaptive equipment. I learned the in's and out's of medicaid and what they see as "medically necessary."

I learned new strategies for treating everything from handwriting issues to ADL deficits.

I learned new ways to play, how to see a toy through the eyes of a child, and how to use this new found ability to motivate the kids on my caseload.

I learned how to be consistent with the students and how to be firm yet supportive at the same time.

I learned how to push the kids while respecting when they had enough. I also perfected my "Dad voice" for when a child needed redirection or a behavior adjustment.

 I learned how to work with and alongside teachers. How to speak with parents and how to listen.

These are just a few of the many many lessons and skills that I learned while at Blossomland. I will forever be grateful for my experience and I hope to always remember what learned, but most importantly, the people I met.


Cheers,
        Jairus Sturgeon

No comments:

ShareThis