Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Home Help Services for the developmentally disabled

Are you concerned about taking care of yourself and continuing to live in your own home?

Are you eligible for Medicaid?
This program may let you hire someone to help you with your essential daily activities.

Department of Human Services (DHS) will not discriminate against any individual or group because of race, religion, age, national origin, color, height, weight, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, political beliefs or disability. If you need help with reading, writing, hearing, etc., under the Americans with Disabilities Act, you are invited to make your needs known to a DHS office in your area.
DHS-Pub-815 (Rev. 6-09) Previous edition obsolete.

What Is the Home Help Services Program?
Home Help Services is a program administered by the Department of Human Services (DHS). It is designed to give support to individuals who are unable to care for themselves adequately at home. This program provides funding for individuals to hire helpers to assist with daily activities. This allows people to live in their own homes rather than live in nursing homes, adult foster care homes, or homes for the aged.

What Services Are Included?
If you are unable to perform some of your activities of daily living, we may be able to help you with:
Eating or feeding.
Using the toilet. 
•       Bathing. 
Transferring from one position to another. 
Moving around the home.
Taking medicine. 
Preparing meals and cleaning up. 
Shopping for essential items. 
Doing laundry.
Light housework.

Who Is Eligible?
To receive Home Help Services, a person must be (1) eligible for Medicaid and (2) need physical help to perform these activities. A Medical Needs form (DHS-54A) signed by an approved Medicaid enrolled provider indicating personal care is needed must be obtained before payment for services can begin.

People with (1) high medical bills or extensive personal care needs and (2) income that exceeds Medicaid standards can still become eligible for Medicaid and this service. Ask a DHS Adult Services worker about the “deductible” and “personal care option.”

Who Provides the Services?
Home Help clients employ their own providers. Providers are not employed by DHS or the state of Michigan. Providers may be friends, relatives, neighbors, or employees of home help agencies. A client’s spouse or a parent caring for a child under 18 cannot be paid by DHS. If a client has difficulty finding a provider they may contact the Michigan Quality Community Care Council (MQC3) at 800-979-4662. They maintain a registry of qualified providers.

How Much Are Providers Paid?
The Adult Services worker, with the client and provider, will agree on how much help the client needs every month. This is based on the client’s physical and mental condition and home situation. The Adult Services worker will conduct a comprehensive assessment to determine the amount of time needed to complete each
The hourly rate of pay is based on the county where the client resides.

What Services Are Not Covered?
 Services not covered by Home Help:
• Supervised personal care (the guidance and direction a client may need to perform activities of daily living.)
•Yard work, heavy housework, and repairs.
• Services for other people (non- Medicaid recipients) who live in the home.
•Transportation (DHS can direct you to other resources to assist with this.)

How Do I Apply for Home Help?
The person in need of services or someone they choose to represent them can call or visit the Adult Services Unit of their local county Department of Human Services.

To see brochure informing you about this service click here.

No comments: